An annual event flown every year since 1973 – the Tangerine is the premier RC Soaring event in Florida. Though the event was once held early each year, it is now the tradition of many avid soaring enthusiasts to make the yearly trek to Orlando the day after Thanksgiving to contest the Tangerine.
The 2009 event was held on NOVEMBER 27, 28 and 29.
These links will take you to each report on the flying fun each day of the 36th Tangerine.
The following text about the event is an excerpt from the 2009 Tangerine flyer.
NOV 27, FRIDAY: DLG CONTEST – OPEN FLYING AFTERWARDS
NOV 28, SATURDAY: UNLIMITED & RES THERMAL DURATION
NOV 29, SUNDAY: UNLIMITED & RES THERMAL DURATION FLOWN HONORS CALL-UP / OPEN WINCH SPORTSMAN & EXPERT CLASS IN EACH EVENT (EXCEPT DLG)
EVENT AWARDS TO 3RD PLACE IN EACH CLASS
Safety: Managed transmitter impound for duplicate frequencies. Most pilots on unique frequencies.
On-Site Food: Food will be available on site as well as at near-by restaurants.
Registration: On site only.
Daily Awards: Top 3 places in Expert and Sportsman Pilot Classifications for each event except DLG.
Honors Call-Up: Top pilots from previous round scores Called-Up for launch to begin next round.
Grand Champion: The top pilot (irrespective of pilot classification) in each of the five events will qualify for the Grand Champion fly-off. The winner of the fly-off will be the Grand Champion. Any sailplane may be flown for the fly-off.
Buzzards Home Field: Entrance off Red Ember Road, Oviedo, Florida.
From Oviedo, go east on SR 419 for 2.2 miles, turn right (south) on Lockwood Road for 2.0 miles, then left (south) on Old Lockwood Road for 0.5 miles, and left (east) on Red Ember Road (unpaved) for 0.4 miles to marked field access on left. See enclosed area map.
CLASSES & CLASSIFICATION CRITERIA FOR UNLIMITED EVENTS
EXPERT: (1) Working on LSF Level IV or V, or
(2) Previously placed 1, 2 or 3 in overall standing at a sailplane contest with 30 or more entries, or
(3) Volunteer to fly in Expert class.
SPORTSMAN: (1) All others
(Note: Above criteria applies to all pilots, and pre-empts current FSS class standings)
ENTRY FEES: Friday DLG $15.00 (includes complimentary lunch)
Sat & Sun: $20.00 per Event (includes complimentary catered lunch) (Pilots may enter both events each day.)
FRIDAY – DLG (HANDLAUNCH): TASKS PER CD CHOICE
SATURDAY – UNLIMITED & RES: 10 Minutes & Landing task
SUNDAY – UNLIMITED & RES: 10 Minutes & Landing task
(Tasks are subject to change at the discretion of the Daily Contest Director)
DLG 1st through 3rd place. (flown in one class only)
EXP UNL & RES: 1st through 3rd place. (Awarded Daily)
SPORTSMAN UNL & RES: 1st through 3rd place. (Awarded Daily)
GRAND CHAMPION FLY-OFF: The top pilot (irrespective of pilot classification) in each of the five events will qualify for the Grand Champion fly-off. The winner of the fly-off will be the Grand Champion.
CHECK-IN, REGISTRATION AND PILOT’S MEETING:
REGISTRATION TIMES: 9:00 to 10:00 AM Friday and Saturday, 8:30 to 9:00 Sunday.
PILOT’S MEETING TIME: 10:00 AM Friday and Saturday, 9:00 AM Sunday
FRIDAY – DLG HAND LAUNCH: Raed Elazzawi (407) 277-9719 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
SATURDAY – RES & UNLIMITED: Rick Eckel (407) 366-8852 E-Mail: email@example.com
SUNDAY – RES & UNLIMITED: Rick Eckel (407) 366-8852 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
GENERAL CONTEST RULES:
1) All flying will be in compliance with the AMA safety code.
2) Each pilot is responsible for verifying receipt of the correct frequency pin and radio from the impound area and for returning the same radio to the impound with the pin. Any scoring errors must be reported prior to the end of the contest for correction.
3) Field boundaries are designated by existing fences and tree lines. All flights terminating outside the designated boundaries will incur a zero flight score.
4) Any pilot landing outside the field boundaries must return their transmitter and frequency pin to the impound prior to retrieving their sailplane unless they are the exclusive user of that frequency.
5) Pilots must remain outside the safety line boundary of the designated landing zone except as necessary for retrieval after landing. Violation will result in a zero landing score.
6) Any pilot causing a flight safety issue or concern may be subject to loss of flight score, at the discretion of the Contest Director
FLIGHT SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT